Istanbul Urban Adventures
Day tours, with a local
Constantinople, Stamboul, Istanbul -- a city that straddles both east and west... a city so fascinating that many travellers find it hard to leave. Istanbul Urban Adventures invite you to discover those exotic and complex things through the Istanbul city tours that have intrigued travellers throughout the ages. Modern travellers find themselves intoxicated with the fabulous food, incredible skylines dotted with minarets of striking mosques, the breathtaking sight of sunset over Europe from the Bosphorus, all of which you can find in these Istanbul tours.
It’s the kind of place that people always want to return to. Visions of the majestic Sultanahmet sites such as the beautiful Blue mosque, grand Topkpai place and Aya Sofya have embodied the ultimate fusion between east and west and have created a city of world desire. But above all else, it is the generosity and hospitality of the Turkish people that is most memorable.
Join us as we explore mosques hidden away and discuss what it’s like to be a modern Islamic Turk and then haggle for fresh pistachios in the fresh food markets. Join today’s Turks in their modern stomping ground and get the lowdown on what and when, while also being stunned by ancient architecture and fascinating cultural customs such as having your fortune told. Or immerse yourself in a very authentic family meal with locals in their home and discuss the news of the day and what the family members were up to that day.
These are just some of the many things to see and do in Istanbul and we at Istanbul Urban Adventures are your first ticket! While your here you might also want to check out our other Urban Adventure partners in the region like Cappadocia, Athens, or Florence.
from 11 reviews
From EUR 39.00
Nothing beats home cooking, especially Turkish home cooking. Join this Istanbul tour to be treated to a feast at a local family's home, as well as other oh so Turkish pursuits: drinking tea, playing backgammon, and hitting the water pipe!more...
from 14 reviews
From EUR 25.00
Turkey's capital is a beautiful city, but it pays to know where to look. Join this Istanbul tour to be shown the unmistakable icons as well as the hard-to-find secret spots that make Istanbul so captivating.more...
Old & New Istanbul
from 10 reviews
From EUR 35.00
Turkey may be transforming rapidly but there's still room for tradition. On this Istanbul tour you'll drink turkish coffee, have your fortune told (via the coffee grounds of course), see 19th century cinemas, visit old bazaars, and see where the old Orient Express used to stop and try an islak burger, every modern Turks late night snack.more...
Picnic On Two Continents
from 8 reviews
From EUR 35.00
Taste the very best of Istanbul’s local snack food on this delectable food tour. Explore the Spice Bazaar and meet friendly traders who will reveal their treasure trove of local delicacies. Stock up on goodies from markets and street stalls, take the ferry to Asia, and stroll along the waterfront. Enjoy tea and Turkish delights while checking out a view of the famed Maiden’s Tower.more...
Istanbul Night Tasting Trail From EUR 75.00
The best way to see a city like a local? Eat and drink like a local! This culinary adventure takes you on foot, away from the tourist trail, to search out the hidden gems of Istanbul’s thriving street food scene. Learn what’s trendy today in Turkish cuisine and sample a variety of tasty treats as you work your way through the best food in Istanbul.more...
from 2 reviews
From EUR 70.00
Either I conquer Istanbul or Istanbul conquers me. – Fatih Sultan Mehmet. Journey in the footsteps of the city’s most famous ruler and conquer Istanbul in just a day. This is the ultimate all-in-one introduction to the sites everyone must see in Istanbul, with a locals-know twist. Visit Turkey’s iconic historic spots such as the jaw-dropping Hagia Sofia, the beautiful Blue Mosque, and the pretty, tree-lined ancient Hippodrome, and learn how Istanbul has stood strong through the centuries. Eat a tasty Turkish lunch with locals at a hidden café, then listen to stories of how generations of sultans lived at the grand Topkapi Palace, overlooking the gorgeous Bosphorus Strait. Finish it all off with a backstreet tour and some good-natured haggling with local artisans in the Grand Bazaar.more...
Ezo Gelin Soup
more... more stories...
17 Mar 2015 Guide engaging and informative with excellent English. Format was ideal - great way to interact with a culture and people one wouldn't otherwise get to experience on such a short visit. Home-cooked food terrific, and local shisha bar atmospheric. Really memorable trip.
22 Jan 2015 Beatrice was brilliant, as was the company's willingness to arrange our tour at very short notice. There could have been more transparency about the exchange rate to be used (this wasn't Beatrice's fault) - we had calculated a different amount of lira needed and this made for an awkward end to the tour.
08 Jan 2015 Niche tour with Iskender despite aweful wheather. Thanks for this experience
13 Nov 2014 after Nairobi, Istanbul was my second urban adventure. an excellent way to get shown around by a 'real' local, small groups (in fact we were lucky to be the only ones in the group)and no queueing for tickets as our guide had prepared everything
02 Nov 2014 The perfect way to see a city.
30 Sep 2014 Erkan was an outstanding guide.
28 Sep 2014 Excellent day out
29 Jul 2014 Un modo diverso ma vero di conoscere altre culture, modi di vivere. Un grazie davvero alla nostra guida Fathy che con estremo tatto cortesia ci ha condotto in casa di Bedia, una semplice ma dolcissima mamma turca. E' stata l'esperienza più bella fatta durate il mio soggiorno ad Istanbul. E' un tour assolutamente da non perdere.
28 Jun 2014 great guides
22 Jun 2014 This was a fantastic experience! We loved getting to know the city this way and saw and learned so much more that we could have ever done on our own.
Hos geldiniz! Welcome to Istanbul Urban Adventures! Our team of bilingual Turkish professional guides are waiting to share their passion for this fascinating city and all that it has to offer.
Istanbul Urban Adventures team
Feels like: 10°C
Broken clouds. Cool.
Sign up now and get $10 off your next tour!
At Urban Adventures, we firmly believe local travel is one of the best ways we can support responsible tourism. In fact, we believe it so strongly that we’ve made it our entire business! All our tours are run by local experts, not some faceless corporate team located halfway around the world with no sense of the local vibe.
We craft our tours to ensure every traveller has authentic interactions with local people, businesses, transportation, and food and drink. Local travel gives you the opportunity to experience a destination as locals do, and has the potential to impact you in ways you never imagined. In short: local is awesome.
As a responsible travel company, we promise to:
- Use locally owned infrastructure on our tours whenever possible.
- Spread the financial benefits amongst local people and operators.
- Provide employment and leadership opportunities for local people.
- Respect local customs and culture.
- Provide safe tours for Urban Adventure partners, staff, and travellers.
- Educate travellers and our partners about how and why we choose to travel this way.
- Limit any negative impact to the daily lifestyles of local people.
- Limit any physical impact on natural and cultural environments.
- Provide support to organisations and local communities.
- Provide opportunities for travellers to interact with local people.
- Actively ban partners, staff, and passenger participation in or endorsement of commercial sexual activities or illegal drug use on Urban Adventures tours.
- Work to prevent the exploitation of children in tourism.
- Actively discourage participation in activities that exploit animals.
- Use local partners that adhere to Urban Adventures' responsible travel principles.
- Support and encourage fair employment practices.
- Give our travellers the best possible value.
- Have fun!
As a traveller, we ask that you keep the following in mind:
- People: Be mindful of the local citizens, and seek understanding through shared experiences. Consider their customs and values while in their homeland, and when in doubt, ask your guide for advice.
- Environment: Be mindful of the local environment, and act with conservation and sustainability in mind. Follow local guidelines, as recommended by your guide, and make proactive decisions on your own.
- Culture: When travelling to other cultures, remember that not everyone's customs are the same as yours at home. Be respectful, and be mindful of openly questioning a customary practice, even if you disagree with it. Try to understand from their perspective. You may learn something! Your guide will be an excellent point of reference here, so check with them if you're unsure.
- Economy: Make every effort to use local businesses and put your tourism dollars in the right (local) pocket. We use local vendors and businesses, and your guide will be able to advise you on the best ways to support the local economy.